4W6GH – Timor-Leste (OC-148)

Cheguei in Timor-Leste to 7 February 2000. A few weeks later, with the valuable support of José de Sá (CT1EEB), tried to obtain a license to operate from 4W. I took this short period to prepare the station in Dili. A 22 March my license was awarded. The next day, Jose de Sa called Dili to give the good news. That same day I started to pass. The first QSO was obviously as 4W6GH with Jose de Sa to 14H33 (local time) in 21 MHz and up to midnight of that day did about three thousand QSOs – um pillup inesquecível. The experience is unique, half-world calls simultaneously, the s-meter mark above 40dB 9, you must be in place to feel.

The operation had begun and the aim was to give opportunity to the greatest possible number of radio amateurs to make contact with East Timor, without giving preference to one or another country.

I initially started to operate in 10/12/15/17/20 meter in SSB. I have to que Reputation, to get to Europe was the best band of 21MHz by 17:00 local. Proof of this is my daily QSO with Tina (CT1YSX), minha XYL.

Em Dili, only used two dipoles inverted 'V', to a 10/15/20 and another for 12/17 meters and um Yaesu FT-890 (com 100W PEP).

At the end of March I meet Jose de Sa (CT1EEB agora 4W6EB) em Dili. A few days later I moved to Liquica, about 30 km from Dili.

This change led to a week without Liquica activity on the radio. It was necessary to improvise new masts and prepare the facility to start transmitting again. A few days later he was operating in the bands and the WARC bands 40/80/160 meters.

In Liquica had the opportunity to make the first QSO in bands 40/80/160 meters. There were no major limitations of space and bamboo became the raw material of choice for making the masts (only used wire antennas). For the 160 meters used a 'L’ lying, cut to half-wave, raised to 12 meters and generous com uns 300 meters in the radial buried about 10cm. I devoted more time to RTTY where I did about five thousand QSOs.

In only one satellite RS-12/13 QSO with Bernhard Dobler (DJ5MN). He listened very well the European stations (outside the footprint) when the satellite was in the area of ​​Alaska (KL7), or between Madagascar (8R) and India (VU).

The great difficulty with Europe was in the range of 40 and 80 meters, it was broadcast only with 100W, the same was not true of North America, bons QSO's so easy to Fazia.

It was in Liquica that my buddy Antonio Alves started to become interested in radio and spend more time close to me as I communicate with hams around the world, but soon, accompanied me on the expedition to the island of Atauro (OC- 232).

Of 23 March to 5 August 2000 fiz nearly fifty thousand QSO's distributed by 197 countries. By continent, 50% of the QSOs were with Europe, 29% with Asia, 18% with North America and 2% com a Oceania. O remaining 1% of QSOs went to Africa, Antarctica and South America. By mode, 90% SSB em e 9% em RTTY. O remaining 1% of the QSOs were on CW, FM e Satélite.

My operation in East Timor did not have any kind of sponsorship. My thanks to all those who supported me and gave their valuable contribution to the success of this operation. Among eels, My XYL Ana Cristina (CT1YSX), o José de Sá (CT1EEB), Julio Mateiro (CT1ZW), António Callixto the (LX2DW) and Joaquim Dias (CT4KO). I also thank the always pleasant company of Javier Adanero (EA1AUS), do Masaru Hanazaki (JA5AQC), Dominic do Hanger (I1APQ), do Arai Morio (JA1OYY) My buddy and António Alves.

4W6GH/p – Atauro Island (OC-232)

At first it was just an idea, next to impossible, given the difficulties existing in East Timor. Transportation was the first obstacle encountered, after several attempts, find a fisherman who was willing to take us to the island for a million rupees. After the generator, rare and expensive in East Timor, but necessary for the operation, there is no electricity in Atauro.

Thanks to the valuable collaboration of the Squadron 552 (Drones), of Portuguese Air Force we got a generator for the dispatch. After all these setbacks, without any support, with all kinds of limitations that can be imagined, but with great desire and determination, it's time to see confirmation of our departure for Atauro.

Our destination was the village of Maker, a 55 nautical Liquica.

A prompt estava load. A generator 1,2 KVA, Quattrocento gallons of gasoline, water and food for almost a month, Backpacks, sleeping bags, an awning to provide shelter, a telescopic mast with ten feet in length, um dipolo multi-band, twenty-five feet of coaxial cable and um Yaesu FT-890. The team consisted of four elements. By Roger Machado was entrusted to our food and our safety device, Francisco Pinto was responsible for preparing and maintaining the electrical generator operating, Antonio Alves was charged with gathering images to document the expedition and care for my safety at night. My only mission was to radio. Of the forty-an hours stay on the island thirty-two were doing radio.

On the evening of July 6 it was confirmed, parties to the next evening as planned.

At about 14:00 local, we come to the Bay Tibar, where a small boat six feet would take us to the island. Loaded all the stuff, embarked on a journey of three hours with sea very busy. At 17:00 we arrived at the local beach in the village of Maker (8° 31'45″S 125 º 31.5″It), our point of destination.

The island has five administrative divisions, they are the juice Beloi (with 1240 people), Juice Vila (with 1220 people), Juice Maquili (with 1845 people), Juice Biqueli (with 1836 people) Juice and Macadam (with 1815 people). Our stay was in the village of Juice Maker in Beloi, this village is about 490 inhabitants living mainly from fishing. The village chief was Mr.. Alberto Soares, who was secretary to Mr.. Carlos de Araújo.

The reception could not be warmer. Once we landed on the beach, the head of the village came to welcome the group. Then I gave you to know the reason for our trip to the island and asked permission to set up camp on the beach. It was then that Mr.. Alberto Soares suggested that we stay in school that was abandoned. It was an unexpected offer we could not refuse. After showing us the house (fully degraded), started to unload the vessel. O inhabitants enthusiasm was visível, everyone wanted to work with us.

The solar day was ending and there was still preparing the station. A dipole for 14/21/28 MHz em 'V’ reversed and a Yaesu FT-890 was all they had to make the first expedition to this new IOTA reference a success.

Shortly after was in the air, Ace 11H50z made the first call general 21,260 MHz which responded immediately Radek Stolfi (OK1FHI) signals with excellent.

About 13H30z was contacted by Roger Ballista (G3KMA), was operating at 90 minutes, and had performed 216 QSO’s, gave me the reference OC-232 / p, the first part of the objective was achieved, Ataúro was a candidate for 'new one’ the IOTA program and I was there.

For seven hours I was in 21 MHz, with good signs from Europe and Asia, from time to time appeared stations in North America. Japanese stations arrived with very strong signals. The first ten hours of activity were completely uninterrupted Atauro.

The fatigue was proportional to the enthusiasm, needed to sleep, tinha night been long and tiresome, the sun was already high, my team was awake and had prepared the breakfast. After some sleep, I used to dive in clear waters of the island, but soon, I met a group of villagers. Only at that moment I could see their poor living conditions. The population was very young and very high infant mortality. According to the inhabitants, there is no transport on the island and there is only one clinic to six hours away, a pe, because there are no cars on the island. Given the scarce hygiene conditions, much of the population suffers from skin diseases, children were the hardest hit.

At 07H30z resumed activity in the 21MHz to contact almost exclusively Japanese stations. I made several hundred QSOs with Japan until 13H00z when the first Portuguese stations began to appear. But soon, we were invited by the sailors of our ship, with a meal of lobster captured by them during the night. After 13H00z signals surpassed the rest of Europe. I continued on up to 21MHz with 18H40z good signs in Europe. The day ended on Saturday with eighteen hours of activity.

The last day on the radio began about 05H00z at 28MHz, but the band soon appeared with little activity, only a few JA's and W's. I returned to 21MHz and stayed there until 15H00z, then went to 14MHz, later dismissed the expedition with a QSO with Dr. Klaus oweni (DJ4AX), the last station called. Thirteen and a half hours of radio in the latter days.

The expedition ended, 41 hours spent on the island, 5,691 QSO em 32 working hours of operation. It was time to organize our luggage, receive the written statement by the secretary of the village to prove our stay on the island and to thank our friends the generous hospitality.

Special thanks to support this operation goes to Antonio Alves, Francisco Afonso, Francisco Pinto, Gennaro de Oliveira, José de Sá, José Reis, Julius Mateiro, Roger Machado and the Portuguese Air Force.